For an instant quote, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Capstan Atlantic is the largest producer of precision Powdered Metal gears. Our capabilities include high density, high strength gears and our proprietary HD4 process™. Specializing in a large variety of applications, Capstan Atlantic provides solutions for the automotive industry and a wide range of industrial applications.
Gear Tooth Surface densification allows Capstan to respond to our customer’s most demanding applications and has the following benefits:
- Results in a powder metal gear with similar rolling contact fatigue properties to wrought and forged gears.
- Produces a mirror surface finish to reduce NVH levels.
- Has the ability to crown the gear tooth profile for improved load distribution and minimize noise levels.
- Eliminates secondary operations such as hobbing, shaving, and grinding.
Surface densification provides the cost reduction benefits of the Powdered Metal process while maintaining all the benefits of cut gears.
Capabilities & Facilities
- Gears to AGMA Class 9
- High Performance gears by combining high strength
alloys and unique secondary operation
- Selective densification to 7.8 grams/cm
- Presses from 4 to 825 tons
- In-house design, engineering & tooling capabilities
- Metallurgical & Gear laboratory
- Spiral Bevel
- HD4 Densification Process™
High Performance Alloys
- Pre-alloyed Compositions
- Diffusion Alloyed Systems
- Chrome Steel Solutions
- Single Pressed High Density
Ferrous & Non Ferrous Steels
- Magnetic Grades
- Carbon Grades
- Nickel Steels
- Copper Steels
Precision Gear Measurement Equipment
Capstan Atlantic utilizes advanced gear measurement equipment in all phases of the manufacturing process.
HD4™ High Performance Gear System
The HD4™ material system is a Capstan developed system that when combined with surface densification provides outstanding strength and wear properties for the most demanding applications.
The benefits of the HD4™ process are;
- Custom designed high performance alloy system
- Superior core density for fatigue resistance
- Pore free surface density for contact fatigue resistance
- Mirror like surface finish for quiet running gears
- Precise Helix angle
- Custom Involute profiles for noise reduction
- Tailored Hardening process to meet aggressive rolling contact fatigue requirements
- Wrought Steel properties with the economies of Sintered Metal